St Winin's St Winin's, Kilwinning
Tel 01294 552276
Fax 01294 558696
Email mail@st-winins.com

St Winin's is the Catholic Parish in the town of Kilwinning. It is part of the Catholic Diocese of Galloway. The town, like the parish, takes its name from the Church (cell, kil) of Winin, a medieval Saint, thought to be a disciple of Mungo, but whose origin is unknown.

There is a ruined Abbey dedicated to St Winin in the town. It dates from the first years of the Millennium now passing. The Abbey and its grounds are in the care of 'Historic Scotland', but there is a thriving Church of Scotland Kirk and a Tower within the precincts. inside St Winin's
There are about 3,500 Catholics in Kilwinning out of a population of around 17,000. The parish is a busy, thriving community with a clear identity and a strong sense of family. We have three Sunday Masses, including a vigil Mass, and Mass is celebrated each weekday.  another view inside St Winin's

The modern Catholic Parish was founded in 1871 and was served by a priest from Dalry, a neighbouring parish. The present church was built in 1937 and replaced a chapel-school of around 1872. This latter building was extensively refurbished in 1997 at a cost of 200,000 and now serves as the Parish Hall.

Three Catholic Schools serve the parish:

St Winning's Primary has been in existence since the founding of the parish in 1872 and in its present building for over ninety years. The present head teacher is Mrs Collette Duffield.

St Winning's Primary
St Luke's Primary was founded just over twenty five years ago and is a modern, open-plan school, at the north end of the town. The present head teacher is Mrs Roberta Gaitan. St Luke's Primary
St Michael's Academy is a modern six year comprehensive Catholic school. It was founded on another site by the Sisters of the Holy Cross and Passion (who still have a convent in Kilwinning) who recently celebrated their centenary in this area. Like the other schools, St Michael's is part of the North Ayrshire Educational Services and its present rector is Mr Eric Allen.

BACK TO CHURCHES